Monday, June 24, 2013

The Mystique of Coors Brewing Company

[Image: 640px-Coors_Brewing_Company_Logo.jpg]

The Mystique of Coors Brewing Company

By Jeff Danforth-Manning
The Daily Magi
October 10, 2047


The Coors Brewing Company is a regional division of the world's seventh-largest brewing company, the Canadian Molson Coors Brewing Company and is the third-largest brewer in the United States. Coors is also renowned for operating the Golden, Colorado brewery, the largest single brewery facility in the world.

For much of its history, Coors beer was a regional product; its marketing area was confined to the American west. This made it a novelty on the East Coast, and visitors returning from the western states often brought back a case. This iconic status was reflected in the 1977 movie Smokey and the Bandit, which centered around an illegal shipment of Coors from Texas to Georgia. The company finally established nationwide distribution in the U.S. in the mid-1980s.

In 1959, Coors became the first American brewer to use an all-aluminum two-piece beverage can. Coors currently operates the largest aluminum can producing plant, known as the Rocky Mountain Metal Container (RMMC), in the world in Golden, Colorado. RMMC is a joint venture between Ball Metal and Coors, having been founded in 2003.

In the 1970s, Coors invented the pollution free push tab can; however, consumers disliked the top and it was discontinued soon afterward. The long and current slogan of "Silver Bullet" to describe Coors Light is not for the beer but for the silver colored can in which the beer is packaged. Coors Light was once produced in the "yellow bellied" cans like Coors Banquet; however, when the yellow coloring was removed and the can was left mostly silver, many dubbed the beer as "The Silver Bullet".

Coors family members have played a prominent role in American politics and public policy, supporting many conservative causes. Such causes included providing a $250,000 grant in 1973 to found The Heritage Foundation, an influential conservative think tank, and, via its parent company, the right-leaning think tank American Enterprise Institute. Chairman Pete Coors ran unsuccessfully for the U.S. Senate from Colorado in 2004 on the Republican ticket.

Coors sponsored Premiership side Chelsea FC 1994–1997, the last competitive game that the club wore shirts bearing Coors as sponsors being the 1997 FA Cup Final in which they beat Middlesbrough 2-0 to end their 26-year wait for a major trophy.

Current twin company Carling was title sponsor of the Premier League from 1993 to 2001 and since 2003 has sponsored the Football League Cup. The two brands are also former sponsors of Rangers and Celtic. The clubs have worn strips with Coors Light logos for exhibitions in North America; while elsewhere, the strips promoted Carling, which is not offered in the U.S.
Coors is also the "Official" beer sponsor of NASCAR and formerly the NFL until Bud Light replaced it in 2011.

Coors and/or Molson are beer sponsors of the NHL's Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks and all six Canadian teams. The company owns 20% of the Montreal Canadiens with the Molson family owning the other 80%, having purchased the shares from Colorado's George Gillett in 2009.

In addition to its official NASCAR sponsorship, Coors Light has regularly sponsored cars in the series, they sponsored Melling Racing, Team SABCO, and most recently for Chip Ganassi Racing. Drivers to have Coors backing have included Bill Elliott (Bill Elliott won the Winston Million in 1985 and the 1988 Winston Cup Championship), Robby Gordon, Sterling Marlin, Kyle Petty, David Stremme and Regan Smith. Coors is the title sponsor of the pole award in the NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series. Coors stopped sponsoring a stock car in 2008.

Coors is also the official beer of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA).

Coors holds the naming rights to Coors Field in Denver, Colorado, home of the Colorado Rockies baseball team. The Coors Events Center on the campus of the University of Colorado at Boulder in Boulder, Colorado is named after Coors.

The Coors Life Direction Center of Regis University is also named after Coors.
Coors has sponsored English rugby league side Workington Town from the 2007 season, as well as British Ice Hockey Team, The Belfast Giants. Coors was the main sponsor for the Coors Cycling Team (late 1980s to mid-1990s) and the sponsor for the major U.S. cycling event the Coors Classic, which ran from 1980 to 1988.

Coors is a sponsor of English Rugby Union team Gloucester; both Coors and Gloucester RFC were founded in 1873. Coors, through product line Worthingtons, brews a special beer 'Kingsholm Ale' which is sold in the stadium. The Worthington logo is featured on the Gloucester uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment